Tuesday, March 22, 2016

SOLSC #22/31 #sol16

Reading with Speed

Why do we connect speed with fluent reading? I am part two phenomenal groups on facebook that are centered around the following books: The Reading Strategies Book and the Notice and Note books.

Image result for Reading strategies book  Image result for notice and note book Image result for notice and note nonfiction book

Someone posted about a friend's first grader, who thinks she is not a good enough reader, because her teacher says she doesn't read fast enough. The comments poured in. One that really struck me was from my friend, Aliza. She saw Jacqueline Woodson speak at WSRA's Convention this winter.

Jacqueline said that if "a child is not reading fast enough, she must be an author."

This was based on Jacqueline's experience as a "slow" reader, because she was always reading as a writer.

I thought that was pretty powerful. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. This has always been a struggle for me: I want my first-graders to decode words automatically and accurately but I don't want them to read superfast like one long jumbled sentence. We practice making reading enjoyable for the listener too.
    I'm going to find these facebook groups :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Facebook groups are so powerful. Lots of answers quickly to any type of reading related question you may have! The books are amazing too. For your level The Reading Strategies Book would be most appropriate.

      Delete
  2. I believe that more often than not, the more fluent the reader is, the quicker they read...but like anything, I don't think it's an exact science. I believe we have to look at the entire picture and the entire child. I loved what Woodsen said. I get that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that story yesterday. It made me sad. It disturbs me deeply any time any adult makes a child feel less empowered.

    ReplyDelete