Monday, March 21, 2016

SOLSC 21/31 #sol16



Writing Lesson

I had an impromptu writing lesson last night with my husband. He was asked by our local newspaper to write about his experiences hosting students on his logging sites and also his visits at schools. Our local newspaper is very small and short staffed, so instead of them interviewing my husband and turning it into a story, he was asked to write it! (Hence, he turned to me.)
 I think the brainstorming was the trickiest part. I had to get him to clarify what the task was, what the purpose was and who his audience was. This was not something he had ever done before. It was clear to me how much writing I have done over the course of my adult life, how much teaching of it I have practiced and how proficient I have become. My husband, however, has had little practice or training in writing. He barely graduated high school, entered the Marine Corps and now owns a successful logging operation. He is super smart, but has little experience with formal writing. As I was reflecting on our experience, I think I took for granted my writing abilities. It was great to be involved in Slice of Life at this time as a means to process this experience and write it down!

Here is what Derek considered our best writing of this article:

Tassler Timber Operations, LLC has been partnering with K-12 schools along with a natural resource specialty school to inform students about sustainable forestry through responsible logging practices. Through these visits, students leave with a much greater appreciation for forest management and its sustainability, renewability, and the people and science behind it. Some of the many topics discussed are the following: sustainable forestry, best management practices on water quality, invasive species control, the benefits of   logging residue, and how a tree gets to market. 


Students learn about Tomahawk’s historic and current role in Wisconsin’s second largest industry. They also learn about the global distribution of responsibly harvested forest related products that many of the professional logging operations throughout the Upper Great Lakes region provide.

It was a great experience to work together to promote what he is offering to students as far as sustainable forestry.

4 comments:

  1. I love how he turned to your for advice when he was suddenly submerged in "your" world. I'm sure he also has a new found appreciation for you and what you do. Imagine the tables turned now and you were let loose at the logging site!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how he turned to your for advice when he was suddenly submerged in "your" world. I'm sure he also has a new found appreciation for you and what you do. Imagine the tables turned now and you were let loose at the logging site!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried to get my husband to teach me about coding so I don't always have to ask him for help with my website, but I can never get him to explain things in a way I can understand. I'm glad you and your husband were able to work together to tell his story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo coool! Your husband, who probably would not describe himself as a writer, and you who totally are, collaborating on a piece!

    ReplyDelete