Friday, October 11, 2013

Notice and Note

I was intrigued by a chat this summer on Twitter that focused on close reading.  It was a chat that centered around the text Notice & Note by Kylene Beers and Robert E. Probst.  I had not read the text, but was encouraged to jump into the discussion based on the conversation I was following.  That worked well until the conversation revolved around the Signposts.  This was when I became totally clueless. 
  • What where these signposts? 
  • What did they mean? 
  • How do I find out more information?
Well, I had to order the book to find out.



As I read through the text, most of the information was similar to what I had learned from Mary Ehrenworth at the National Reading Recovery Conference and also to what I had researched on my own about close reading.  The new information I encountered came with the discussion of the signposts.  As I read on, I was immediately excited about how they would connect my students more with the text and help them think deeper about the stories they read.  I immediately called my colleague and told her to get this text so that she could also help her students.  She did and our teaching has greatly improved!

I have one more signpost to teach, Memory Moment, and I am amazed at the discussion my students are having by answering the anchor question that go along with each signpost.  They are authentically finding theme, conflict, plot, and also setting and characterization, as well as, foreshadowing (no need to teach a separate mini-lesson). 

Our district adopted the Curriculum Companion to ensure we are teaching the CCSS, and the signposts fit with the essential questions we are asking of our students in this first Overarching Enduring Understanding.

I am again so thankful to my #PLN on Twitter and look forward to seeing my students grow using these signposts.

No comments:

Post a Comment