Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Professional Mentor Texts


I was thrilled to be a part of Kylene Beers and Bob Probst's first Facebook live event. It was on their Notice and Note Facebook page and was greatly attended. (If you are not a part of this group, I highly encourage you to join it). During the session, one listener posted a request for teachers to mention their go-to professional mentor texts for literacy. This got me thinking of my own mentor texts.

I wear a lot of hats in my district. I am a reading interventionist, instructional coach, K-12 ELA Department Chair and I also lead some professional development around literacy. Thus, my go-to pile above is quite large. This does not include some more books in my middle school room :)

I am always on the look-out for new ideas or better ways to ensure I am growing professionally so that my students are academically successful. I then give snip-its of what I read to administration, staff and students. I realize everyone is not as excited as I am to read so much professionally, and I respect that. However, they do appreciate it when I share bits of what I am learning with them.

Teach but always learn.:

Here are some of my favorites for upper elementary & middle school literacy:

  • Falling in Love With Close Reading by Christopher Lehman & Kate Roberts
  • Energize: Research Reading and Writing by Christopher Lehman
  • Notice and Note by Kylene Beers & Bob Probst
  • Reading Nonfiction by Kylene Beers & Bob Probst
  • DIY Literacy by Kate Roberts & Maggie Beattie Roberts
  • Reading Strategies Book by Jen Seravallo
  • Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins, Mary Ehrenworth & Christopher Lehman
  • Teaching for Deep Comprehension by Linda Dorn
  • Guiding Readers and Writers by Irene C. Fountas & Gay Su Pinell
  • Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson
  • The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller
  • Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller
Primary Literacy:
  • One to One by Lucy Calkins, Amanda Hartman & Zoe White
  • No More, "I'm Done!" by Jennifer Jacobson
  • The Daily Five by Gail Bushey & Joan Moser
  • Reading Strategies Book by Jen Seravallo

Engaging Students/Education in General
  • Drive by Daniel Pink
  • Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess
  • Book Love by Penny Kittle
  • Opening Minds by Peter Johnston
  • Professional Capital by Andy Hargreaves & Michael Fullan
  • Visible Learning for Teachers by John Hattie
Instructional Coaching
  • The Art of Coaching by Elena Aguilar
  • Instructional Coaching by Jim Knight
I am sure I am missing some that I have used and I know there are many more on my "to-read" list. What are some of your favorite professional mentor texts?

No comments:

Post a Comment